by Susan Frank, Director, California Business Alliance
November 10, 2014
When we created the California Business Alliance more than five years ago, we intended to build a large network of companies that supports the state’s approach to clean energy and climate policy. We have succeeded in that task thanks to our nearly 1,300 small and mainstream businesses and business trade associations from throughout the state; yet, there still are forces in the broader business community that are resistant to sharing the positive news about California’s continued economic success.
So, we recently launched California Means Business (CMB) as a place to read the good news about California businesses – how they are growing, expanding, investing, setting the tone, and illustrating why our state is the 8th largest economy in the world. We’ve teamed up with the California Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (Go-Biz) to identify and highlight California businesses that are creating jobs, growing our economy and improving the lives of Californians.
To set the stage for our initiative, it’s worth taking a look at the dynamic and vibrant marketplace that California fosters:
- 77% of the billion-dollar startups are based in California, predominantly in the Silicon Valley area.
- In 2013, California was the biggest importer in the U.S.*
- In 2013, California was the second largest exporter in the U.S.*
- In 2013, California commodities made up over 10% of the total U.S. exports.
- Computers & Electronics is the largest category for exports in California, valuing over $42 billion.*
- The Agriculture industry is also in the top 5 commodity categories in California and increased over 15% from 2012-2013 (by dollar value).*
CMB will serve as a communications hub to push out good news, like the numbers above, that illustrate California’s mainstream business success. We are using the hashtag #CAMeansBusiness through social media, and hope you will help in sharing the news about our state’s vibrant business community.
When your company or a business you know achieves a milestone, opens a new location, hires workers, or expands to new markets, we want to know about it and share the good news that California Mean Business.
*The information identified with an asterisk was generated from the usatrade.census.gov website.